YLP Kickoff 2014
Young Leaders Program Kickoff 2014
Saturday, September 6, 2014
9:30 AM - 3:30 PM
(followed by the Nats vs. Phillies game @ 4:05 pm)
The National Youth Transitions Center
2013 H Street NW, 20006
(On the GWU Campus, just off the Foggy Bottom/Federal Triangle Metro Stops)
Join us all day or participate in workshops of your choice:
- "Learn to Lead" Young Leaders Program Training - The Young Leaders Program connects college students and young professionals with volunteer opportunities. This training session will give you the tools needed to lead a sampler troop for 6-8 weeks. During sampler troop meetings, girls experience the traditions of Girl Scouting while you help them build courage, confidence and character, and make the world a better place.
- Behavior Support Techniques - Throughout this session, participants will learn strategies for addressing challenging behavior. Guidelines for responding to behavior will be presented. Participants will discuss how to identify influences on behavior, define behavior problems, and develop plans to teach skills. The session concludes with a discussion of appropriate behavior support tools.
- Financial Literacy - Learn how to make financial literacy exciting for Girl Scouts and pick up hints for yourself! Financial literacy is a priority for Girl Scouts nationally and locally, and girls can earn several types of badges, using council kits and resources.
- Girl Scout Badges 101 - Explore the Council's "Journey" activities, and learn about the new "Journey Planners." These great activities tie new Girl Scout curriculum into the well-loved Girl Scout badges and traditions.
- Respectful Accommodations (Engaging Children with Disabilities) - This session will equip professionals with strategies to facilitate inclusion for children with autism spectrum disorders. Participants will address common assumptions about autism, and learn how to provide environmental and interpersonal accommodations. The workshop also presents strategies that support positive behavior, communication and sensory needs.
- Girl Scout Maker Space - Do you want to inspire girls to reach new heights in STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics)? This year, Girl Scouts Nation's Capital is hosting a Maker Faire and wants all troops to become Makers. Learn about the Maker movement and what it involved.
*Join us to watch Nationals vs. Philles after the training. Game starts at 4:05pm. Watch our CEO, Lidia Soto-Harmon throw out the first ball. Tickets will be provided to particpants who RSVP by Friday, August 29th.